DEED Webinar: Small Modular Nuclear Reactor Project
August 24, 2017
2 – 3:30 p.m. EST
Utah Associated Municipal Power Systems (UAMPS) has been investigating the deployment of nuclear reactors since 2008 and NuScale’s small modular reactors (SMR) since 2012. Deployment of this technology by UAMPS is referred to as the Carbon Free Power Project (CFPP) and is anticipated to be sited at the Idaho National Laboratory.
During this webinar, UAMPS will explain its feasibility analysis associated with the decision whether to embark on the next phase of developing the CFPP, which will entail the compilation of a combined construction and operating license application (COLA) to be submitted to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. To introduce the NuScale technology, UAMPS will provide its view on why the NuScale technology is a compelling resource option for other public power utilities due to its: (1) pricing as no cost carbon baseload resource hedge; (2) ability to be sited almost anywhere and in particular shuttered coal plants; and (3) potential to provide local economic benefits associated with siting such a plant. More specifically, UAMPS staff will explain the following key aspects of its feasibility analysis: (1) UAMPS selection of the NuScale SMR technology; (2) development work on the project to date; (3) negotiation of a long-term lease arrangement to site the CFPP at the Idaho National Laboratory; (4) project schedule; (5) the economic case for the CFPP; (6) membership interest in the project; (7) how the technology fits into the changing electric marketplace; (8) development issues unique to developing a resource that has a ten year development period; (9) federal support—both current and anticipated; (10) and next steps.
- Douglas Hunter, Chief Executive Officer and General Manager, Utah Associated Municipal Power Systems
- Mason Baker, Chief Legal Officer and General Counsel, Utah Associated Municipal Power Systems
- No charge for DEED members. To find out if you are a DEED member, click here.
- $99 for APPA members
- $199 for nonmembers
- You will need a username and password to register. If you need assistance, please contact APPA's web staff.
- Log-in information for each webinar will be sent out the morning of the event (around 10:30 a.m. Eastern). If you do not receive the reminder email, please contact Emma Wright 202/467-2942; EWright@publicpower.org
- Registration is for one phone line and one computer. If you have multiple employees participating in this webinar from the same organization and all are in the same location, it is permissible to have multiple people listen in via speaker phone.
- Attendees can also use voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) when they log into the webinar, as an alternative to using their phone line. This option allows participants to play the webinar audio through their computer’s microphone and speakers.
- This webinar is worth 1.5 CPE/.2 CEU/1.5 PDH credits
- The completion certificate is only available to the person who registered for the webinar and attendance is confirmed by the webinar report log.
- Links to all presentations and an audio recording will be sent out 1-2 days after the webinar occurs.
Submit Questions in Advance
To ensure topics of interest are covered sufficiently, we encourage registrants to submit topics and questions prior to the webinar. Please submit questions/topics to DEED@PublicPower.org.
Contact Emma Wright, DEED Program Assistant, at 202/467-2942 or EWright@publicpower.org.